Polymerase Chain Reaction – PCR
It multiplies the genes many times and then does the study for abnormality.
Advantages of PCR :
- Gives more accurate diagnosis as number of genes available for study are more.
- Better for detection of minor defects.
Disadvantages of PCR :
- Takes more time 2 to 3 days
- Additional cost
Who can benefit from PGD ?
- Couples with known diseases which can be transmitted to the children born.
- Couples where family has a history of birth of a child affected by a disease which can be transmitted in other children also.
- Couples in which the chances of genetic defects are more in children born.
- Advanced age of partners.
- History of multiple unexplained abortions.
- Multiple IVF cycle failure.
- Very few centers across the glob and India have PGD facility.
- Bavishi Fertility Institute is the first and the only ART clinic in ‘Gujarat state and Western India ‘ (Except Mumbai) to have PGD facility.
- Because of the in-house facility for PGD, it is surprisingly affordable too !!