Do and don't for fertility
28 June 2021
Maximizing fertility: What to do
Follow these simple tips for how to get pregnant:
- Have sex regularly. When it comes to conceiving, there is no too much sex. The highest pregnancy rates occur in couples who have sex every day or every other day. If having sex every day isn't possible - or enjoyable - have sex every two to three days per week during the fertile period, at least starting soon after the end of your period. If your cycles are irregular, this is the best approach.
- Have sex near the time of ovulation. Tracking ovulation can help ensure that you have sex when you are most fertile. Plan to have sex daily or every other day from 4 days before ovulation to 1 day after.
You can consider taking our help with preconception planning. We can assess your overall and reproductive health. Help you identify changes that might improve your chances of a healthy pregnancy. We will recommend some nutritional supplements, vitamins, and, if necessary, blood tests and vaccines.
Maximizing fertility: What to avoid
To improve your odds of conceiving:
- Don't smoke. Tobacco has multiple negative effects on fertility, not to mention your general health and the health of a fetus.
- Reduce alcohol. Heavy alcohol use might lead to decreased fertility. Generally, it's best to avoid alcohol if you're hoping to conceive.
- Curb caffeine.
- Reduce coffee and tea to no more than two cups a day.
- Don't overdo strenuous exercise. Strenuous, intense exercise of more than five hours a week has been associated with decreased ovulation.